Monday, May 21, 2012

the post in which xan got to frolic through the woods in a silly costume

May 12th brought us to the annual Maryland Faerie Festival, one of our favorite yearly events. My beau and I headed over to Camp Ramblewood with three little pixies (Autumn and two of her friends) in tow. The theme this year was "Goblins" so I put together a black and green ensemble complete with a handmade tulle bustle and a cockroach in my hair. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My top and stockings matched my hair color perfectly, and my leather boots and bat wings really tied it all together. I love a well assembled costume. I may be 23, but I'll never grow out of playing dress up. I enjoy becoming a character for a day, and using the word "bustle".


The girls looked adorable in their outfits as well. Autumn surprised me this year by requesting a pink tutu and flower crown; probably the girliest things she has ever asked me to make. The sudden fear that my Tiny Small was outgrowing her tomboy phase was quickly quelled by her declaration that she is actually a dragon faerie, and that she can breathe fire. *phew*. As long as there is still fire breathing, we're safe.

 
Don't be fooled by her cuteness. She will straight up roast you.

After our troupe of fae danced around the Maypole and consumed an outlandish quantity of fried potatoes, we met up with some of the festival's regular cast of characters, including Sweetie the Unicorn...


 Wedgie the Goblin (surely the guest of honor this year!) who had a much larger cockroach than mine...

Jealous.

  and my friend Posie, who hosts marvelous tea parties for wee faerie folk. Pinkies up!


Two painted faces, one new hula hoop, several minutes of bongo drumming, a wild rumpus, a handful of baby goats, and an exhausting royal quest later, we had thoroughly explored the realm of Fae once again.


As always, we look forward to coming back next year!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. I was raised by a Mom who had to struggle to have me with her. Stay strong. As a Mom now, I understand the love she felt, the love she still feels.

    ReplyDelete